|Object Name||Check, Bank|
|Scope & Content||Cancelled check, drawn on The Bank of Provemont in Provemont, Michigan. Signed by the School District No. 1, Township of Leland / H. Weinhardz, Treas. Check No. 74 Paid to order of Leland Mercantile Co. for $51.51.|
|Title||The Bank of Provemont|
|Collection||Leelanau Historical Society Collection|
Found in a drawer at the residence of Margaret Buckler Borsch. Her father, William Buckler, was the Treasurer of the Leland School District around 1931. He was Treasurer during the time the school was rebuilt (after the fire). William Buckler was also the light keeper on North Manitou Island. The family moved to the mainland at the time that William's wife was pregnant with their son, Walter. He then became a commercial fisherman. The Bucklers owned and operated the Fishtug 'Irene' built by "Big Foot" Johnson in the backyard of the Buckler home on Main Street in Leland. This home is on the northwest corner of the intersection of Main Street and Pine Street in Leland. William Buckler owned much of this block.
The reason for the Bucklers to possess school documents from this period is unknown.
Bank of Provemont
School District No. 1